Author: Diane Bravo, Director of Technical Training at Alain Pinel Realtors.
Do you know today’s home buyers and sellers expect from their real estate agent?
I recently attended a real estate conference in San Francisco, Inman Connect, where various types of home buyers were represented in a panel. While listening to the seven panelists needs, common themes began emerging which I’ve classified into 10 categories. If you take a look, you will see just a few simple things can WOW your clients if you choose to practice them.
10 Things the Modern Home Buyer and Seller Wants from their Agent 2013:
- Communication – Communicate, communicate, and communicate! Some of these panelists weren’t getting calls back from their agent for days. Same day call back is a must, but within a shorter timeframe really shows a level of dedication that is appreciated by clients today. Today more than ever, the early bird catches the worm.
- Professional Photos – Let’s face it, if the photos aren’t professional, the home is not being presented at its best. If you are a listing agent and are not displaying high-quality professional photos, you are behind the times.
- A Full-Time Agent –Every panelist wanted a full time real estate agent! Gone are the days when a part-time agent adds full service value. Buyers want agents who have the contacts, know the tools and have the time to commit and respond quickly.
- An Agent with a Smartphone – Some clients prefer a phone call, some an email, and almost the entire “y” generation wants a text! Whoever you are and whatever your age, you need to know what your buyers prefer – and they need to know you have the technology to communicate the way they want. This multi-generational home buyer group was tricky, but one thing they were sure about – no flip phones please.
- Teamwork & a Game Plan – These 2013 home buyers are ready and willing to pitch in and help with their search. All they want is a plan of attack, carefully assembled with their real estate agent. Not too much to ask, right?
- Pocket Listings – This may be specific to certain markets, but those who mentioned it like to feel they are getting the inside scoop.
- Quarterly Statistic Reports – While clients have access to lots of information on the internet, they want to get market reports from their agents. Regardless of your technical skills, it can easily enough be done with an automated tool. At APR, agents have access to weekly Altos Market Reports that can be sent automatically to their contact database.
- Weekly Inventory Newsletter – This may be the most time consuming of the lot and may pertain mostly to listing agents. The idea was to get a simple list of homes available, from all of the different sources the real estate agent has, combined into one communication. Sellers want to know what else is out there.
- Customized Service – This may sound complicated, but really it does not have to be. Know what they like to drink? Have it already in the car when you go to show them homes. One example that was given was an agent who arranged a private showing for the prospective buyer’s mother. This meant the world to the buyer!
- Gifts – Oh, the gifts! Most favored gifts included show tickets, game tickets, expensive bottles of wine, or even dinner. A dinner accompanied with their agent topped the list! If you’re giving your clients what they want, they will enjoy spending time with you – working or otherwise.
Are you giving your clients what they expect?
About Author:Diane Bravo brings 20 years of technical training and implementation experience to Alain Pinel Realtors. In her current capacity as Director of Technical Training, she is responsible for helping all APR agents improve their business through the use of real estate software. Before moving to APR, Ms. Bravo worked for Integrated Device Technology as Business Systems Analyst.