Author: Dan Mirsky, Director of Marketing at Alain Pinel Realtors.
Like clockwork, as soon as the Christmas ads ramps up – inundating your tablet, TV and mailbox – the real estate market slows down. When traveling around to our offices this time of year, I often hear the line: “My client wants to wait until after the holidays when the market picks back up.” Here are a few reasons you shouldn’t wait until next year to list your home:
- More serious buyers: The people dedicating their time to searching for a home instead of holiday shopping are motivated buyers. They’re the ones who are looking to ring in the New Year in the warm embrace of kith and kin in your home.
- Less supply = More demand: Inventory is markedly lower during the holidays because many sellers take their homes off the market. This means more competition for your property, which potentially means a higher selling price for your home.
- More service providers available: Inspectors, appraisers, stagers, etc. are not as in-demand during the holidays, so they’re more flexible this time of year to meet your needs and busy schedule.
- Staging / Decorations: Homes look better this time of year when they’re decorated for the holidays.
Speaking of staging, when decorating your home for the holidays, don’t go overboard with the lights. This not only goes for the outside, but the inside, as well. John Jenkins of Alain Pinel Realtors in Saratoga says, “Your home looks its best during the holidays. Seasonal decorations and cozy fireplaces help make your home feel warm and inviting.” Be careful not to clutter up your house with too much of your cheesy holiday décor. Jenkins adds, “Stay away from displaying religious holiday items” as they may be a turn-off to some buyers. Bring them back out next year when you’re in your new house.
Here are some other tips for decking your halls during the holidays:
- Make sure your decorations compliment your home’s décor, not detract from it.
- When choosing a Christmas tree, make sure it fits your living space without overwhelming it.
- Have a beautiful view? Don’t cover up the window with adornments like snowflake decals or fake snow spray.
Often, it makes good financial sense to hire a professional to do the staging for you – and that includes your holiday decorations. Rather than doing it yourself, here are a few Bay Area companies that offer holiday light decorating services for the exterior of your home:
Holiday Lights Bay Area
The Christmas Light Pros
Jack Frost Designs
About Author:Dan Mirsky began his career with Alain Pinel Realtors (APR) in 2003 and brings over 10 years of marketing, advertising and communications experience to the company. In his current role as the firm’s Director of Marketing, he is responsible for defining the corporate marketing strategy and communicating that message across multiple channels – both internal and external.